Is there a difference in raising children in a homosexual home versus a heterosexual home?

 Before I jump into the research of what I've found, I would like to address something. I understand writing about homosexuality and heterosexuality is a very controversial topic. Especially in the circumstances we find ourselves living in. My intent in sharing my research on this topic is not to offend anyone. I'm simply sharing what I've learned as a result of my studies. Many of you reading this may know that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I will keep my religious views out of the research I share until the end of the blog. If you wish to read my religious views, then I will provide those at the end. One last thing I would like to say before I talk about my research. I want everyone to do their own research if they want to know if what I'm saying is true. Don't take my word as always right, but instead go do some research yourselves to see what you find.

Now let's get into the research.

In 2005 there was a document presented to the Supreme court about raising children in a homosexual relationship. I'll refer to this document as the "APA brief". This brief states "Not a single study has found children of lesbian or gay parents to be disadvantaged in any significant respect to children of heterosexual parents." Now let's look at the studies the APA brief mentions to find out how heterosexual and homosexual children compare.

I'll reference 3 studies with comparison groups studied.

Study 1: A study done by Pagelow in 1980 used single mothers as a comparison group to homosexual parents.

Study 2: A study done by Golombok in 1983 used single parent households in comparison to homosexual parent households.

Study 3: A study done by Tasker and Golombok in 1997 used single heterosexual mothers in comparison to homosexual parents.

These 3 studies are just samples of the rest of the studies that were referenced by the APA brief. The rest of the studies follow the same pattern. Not a single study was done to compare heterosexual homes to homosexual homes.

So how did they prove that children raised in homosexual homes are comparable to children raised in heterosexual homes? The answer to that is there is no evidence as to whether children are better or worse being raised in a homosexual home.

One study looked into the later life of the children raised in homosexual homes. This study was done by Sarantakos in 2000. One paragraph from this study states "If we perceive deviance in a general sense, to include excessive drinking, drug use, truancy, sexual deviance, and criminal offenses, and if we rely on the statements made by adult children (over 18 years of age)...[then] children of homosexual parents report deviance in higher proportions than children of (married or cohabiting) heterosexual couples (Sarantakos, 2000, p. 131)." Therefore we can see that children raised in a homosexual home have a tendency to participate in illegal and harmful practices later on in life.

These are just a few of the conclusions I came to while studying the APA brief. Again I encourage you to do your own studies and see what you are able to find about the difference in raising children in a homosexual home versus a heterosexual home.


I would like to share some of my personal religious beliefs about families. One document produced by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is "The Family: A Proclamation to the World".

In this document it states "marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children." I agree with this statement and it makes sense. Without man and woman being together, there would be no way to have children. The document later states "We declare that God’s commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife."

I've thought about the study previously mentioned done by Sarantakos. It opened my eyes to the realization that children raised in a homosexual home are more likely to perform harmful practices upon others and upon themselves later in life. I've noticed that homosexuality is becoming more and more present in the world. What happens if it continues? The Family Proclamation goes on to say "Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets." That sentence is an alarming one for me. I hope that we will be able to make it through the struggles that will be presented. We are living in the last days.

Now that I've finished sharing the sad part, I want to share some encouragement. In Joseph Smith-Matthew 1 it talks about the last days. While talking about the calamities that will come, it also shares what we can do to stay strong in the last days. I'll share one verse from the chapter. Verse 36 says "And whoso treasureth up my word, shall not be deceived, for the Son of Man shall come." It's a hard time that we are living in, but it is also a great time. We have the opportunity to experience the gospel in its fullness. The truths God and Christ have taught over the course of the earth's time have all been brought together. How lucky we are to be living in a time where we can access the scriptures in seconds. We are able to share love and care with others in seconds. We can share truths we know in seconds. It may be a hard time to live, but it is also the most rewarding time we can be living. It all depends on how we decide to live our lives, and what we decide to look at.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Active Parenting by Michael Hopkins

What kind of relationships outside of the marriage should there be? and What can lead to adultery/cheating?

What are the effects of social culture and class on families?